Ricky’s back at the Golden Globes, hosting for the third consecutive year and the hype at a fever pitch after his stellar performance last year that brought some controversy on whether he went to far with some of his jokes. I’m in Gervais’ camp on this one, these are movie stars dressed up in designer dresses and tuxes, eating free gourmet food, on national television to have people watch them get even more praise, if you can’t take a few jokes about you than you need to lighten up. Now, who is going to be in Ricky’s cross sights this year. Here’s who I think might need to grow a sense of humor by Sunday:
10. Meryl Streep – This one’s a stretch. Not many people would dare go after Streep, she is one of the most popular movie stars ever, a legend, and even Gervais’ may find it hard to make fun of her. But still, she is always nominated at the Globes it seems, no matter what the film (she got nominated for “Mamma Mia!” people). So if there is a joke to be made about her omnipresence at the Globes, and maybe even her long drought at the Academy’s, Gervais would be the one to make it.
9. Michael Fassbender – Fassbender had a pretty busy year and is being recognized for his performance in “Shame”. That is his calling card on Sunday and it may be the avenue for any jokes toward him. He plays a sex-addict in the film, who is fully nude on several occasions in the film, a huge factor in the film getting an “NC-17” rating. Don’t be shocked if there’s a Fassbender penis joke at some point.
8. George Clooney – Clooney’s in similar situations as Streep, people have a hard time finding anything to make a joke about him for. And yet a shot at one of Hollywood’s golden boys who has more nominations than any other person at the ceremony (4) may be a very tempting opportunity for Gervais.
7. Ryan Gosling – He’s the reigning sexiest man alive and a double nominee this year for “Ides of March” and “Crazy, Stupid, Love”, plus he had one of the most talked about movies of the year with “Drive”. Making it on Ricky’s joke list could be a nice little feather in the cap to end the year for Gosling as a sign that his status as the next big star is such a lock we can make fun of it.
6. Woody Allen – Woody Allen is one of the most recognizable and often parodied Hollywood icon’s because he has such a distinct quirkiness to him that just leads itself so easily into jokes. Also, with “Midnight in Paris” being his biggest success to date, Gervais could throw something together about how it took him so long into this career to have suck a hit.
5. Jonah Hill – Nominated for Best Supporting Actor for “Moneyball”, Hill is a surprising presence at the Globes since he is nominated for a dramatic role when he is well known as one of the biggest comedy stars right now. However, the real area Ricky would probably go after is the huge weight loss that Hill has had in the last year, making some jest about how a strange, skinny man is here to accept on behalf of Jonah Hill.
4. Johnny Depp – I know he isn’t nominated and won’t even be at the Globes, but Depp was one of the topics that caused people to think Gervais had gone to far last year and made it seem that the Hollywood Foreign Press wouldn’t bring him back. Well, he is back, and Ricky is never one to forget one of his insults, and wouldn’t mind warming everyone up with retreading some familiar ground.
2. Alec Baldwin – The “30 Rock” star is nominated once again for Best Actor in a Comedy Series, and after his incident with American Airlines when he wouldn’t turn off his phone because he was playing “Words with Friends” is still just a little more than a month old, it is one of the more easily set-up current events that makes sense for Gervais to take a poke at. I don’t think Blue Ivy Carter is exactly a lingering topic on a night about film and television.
1. Angelia Jolie & Brad Pitt – The other half of “The Tourist”-gate last year and part two of Hollywood’s golden boy list (right up there with Clooney) are both nominated this year. Pitt is up for his role in “Moneyball” has said in some interviews that he may possibly retire in the next couple of years from acting. Jolie’s directorial debut, “In the Land of Blood and Honey”, is nominated for Best Foreign Language film. This is Hollywood’s premier couple, hosts with less controversy that Gervais have made small quips about these two, but I wouldn’t expect anything about the material Gervais may throw at them to be small.
And in case any of you somehow don’t know what I’m talking about as of Ricky Gervais’ performance last year at the Golden Globes, here’s a quick taste, his monologue from last year. If you enjoy it take a look at some of his other stuff, his jokes about Robert Downey Jr. were pretty good too.